Thursday, August 9, 2012

d bar Desserts...OH MY!


 I knew this place was destined to be delicious when I learned that Food Network's own Keegan Gerhard owned the joint, but my heavens was I pleasantly surprised! d bar Desserts is a tiny, wonderfully modern restaurant tucked in a more quiet part of Denver. You kind of have to be searching for it to know it's even there. I went with my friend Melanie who had been once before, and she was dying to sit at the bar...and for good reason! At the bar, you have a front row seat to chat with and observe (or in our case stare while drooling at) the dessert chef.

We started with dinner. YUM. Normally, I can be a pretty picky eater when it comes to eating out. I know what I like, and change kind of scares me sometimes...especially when it comes to those "fancy" menus - you know the kind (when you feel like an idiot because you don't know what half of the ingredients listed are and you're too afraid to speak up and show your ignorance!) But I was DROOLING over this menu! I couldn't decide...especially between their Soup and Sandwich (Tomato Basil Soup with a 3-Cheese Grilled Panini) or their Kobe Beef Sliders that came with a brioche bun, drunken onions, white cheddar cheese, garlic aioli spread and Parmesan fries. I usually have to request some kind of change when I order...think of that scene from 'When Harry Met Sally,' but everything sounded SO good I had to try it as the whole package. My only complaint about this meal? I wanted about 6 times the amount of food because it was SO DAMN YUMMY! Everything was sheer perfection.
How cute and modern are these dishes? I died when I saw the adorable little side of ketchup.

Even though I was wishing for more main course, I was thankful for the portion size because I had ZERO guilt in ordering a dessert all for myself! (Granted, Mel and I both sampled each other's choices, but we mainly indulged in our individual plates)

I had THE HARDEST time deciding because I kept seeing the 3-layer chocolate cake (which is served with a side of mini milkshake). It looked so completely sinful and decadent that my mouth was watering for it all night. But another dessert, by the name of d = mc2 caught my attention, so I had to ask about it.

The menu read: "milk chocolate  peanuts & praline  salted caramel  rice krispies  chocolate ice cream." I was intrigued by the crazy combo of ingredients, and when the waitress mentioned chocolate mousse, I was sold. We then got to watch the intricacies of our desserts being prepared before our very eyes. It was amazing to see all the various components going into the plate, designed beautifully by the Dessert Artist, Briana.

My dessert: d = mc2

The mousse with salted caramel. The bottom layer was a crust of praline, peanuts, and rice krispies...which afforded the PERFECT crunch (especially the rice krispies) for this texture eater! 

Mel's dessert: molten chocolate lava cake with fruit and vanilla ice cream

The artist at work

Many of the other delicious desserts being prepared. How can you NOT drool in this situation?



All in all...GO HERE! The place is amazing! Want a buddy? I'd be happy to go again! =)

0 comments: